The standard text below is from the original tape boxes. The italicized text is our commentary.
Evenings on the Roof
- Nyodo Jin performs three works for unaccompanied shakuhachi.
These were recorded especially for the program "Evening on the Roof" hosted by Peter Yates.
NOTE: Unfortunately, most of the introduction to the first work is missing from the tape of the original broadcast.
Broadcast on KPFK on February 17, 1963
- Peter Yates presents a program of Japanese chamber music for koto, samisen [sic], and shakuhachi, recorded during the visit to Los Angeles of the Japanese master of the shakuhachi Nyodo Jin, assisted by the distinguished Los Angeles musicians Mrs. Chihoko Nakashima, Atsuko Kowta and Sanaye Kagawa.
Broadcast on KPFK on March 6, 1963
- Katsumasa Takasago, who now lives in Sausalito, recorded these interesting bamboo flute melodies and sounds in a Zen temple.
- Broadcast on KPFK, September 8, 1963
- The ancient chant still used by two Zen sects in Japan is discussed with Will Ogden and a Japanese recently arrived in America, Katsumasa Takasago. Examples taped by Mr. Katsumasa in Japan are presented.
- NOTE: The tape for this broadcast was in bad shape and broke twice during the transfer to disk. The three pieces (A-B-C) will therefore have a few seconds missing in the interstices.
Broadcast on KPFK on April 21, 1963
- Broadcast on KPFK on April 28, 1963
These recordings are made availble through the work of Ron Sappington, Rachel Rudich, and Ed Heckerman.