Bio for Bruce Jones

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue May 13 1997 - 13:39:49 PDT

Taking my own advice ...

I got my introduction to the shakuhachi at a Noh performance in Toga
Japan in 1988. The play made absolutely no sense to me, so I began
to take a more carful look at the musicians, and found myself
captivated by the shakuhachi.

I tried to buy a flute before I left the country, but was unable
to find anything to purchase. Toga is way out in the country.

I thought about the shakuhachi from time to time after that, but
never did anything until I saw an article on Usenet, asking about
the availability of shakuhachi in the US. A couple of emails later
I was led to Monty Levenson, and my first flute.

I'm now on my third instrument and in my third year as a student.
While I can never seem to find the time to play as much as I'd
like, I do take my practice fairly serious, and get weekly lessons
from a local player and monthly lessons in LA.

Bruce Jones Department of Communication
bjones@ucsd.edu University of California, San Diego
(619) 534-0417/4410 9500 Gilman Drive
FAX 619/534-7315 La Jolla, CA 92093-0503
=-=
http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/index.html