Hello from Steve Casano

From: Casano (hs-casano@nwu.edu)
Date: Tue May 13 1997 - 21:23:35 PDT

Hello,

My first introduction to the shakuhachi was on the CD "No Borders", by Keiko
Matsui. Her husband, Kazu Matsui, played shakuhachi on the track "The Wind
and the Wolf". To say the least, I was absolutely fascinated by the sound
of the instrument. Being a classically trained musician, the sound of the
shakuhachi was new and exotic.

I purchased my first instrument in Osaka, Japan. Although it was one of the
cheaper, wooden models, it definitely served its purpose; for it took me
several weeks just to produce a steady tone. My present instrument was made
by Masuda; a colleague of Monty Levenson.

Although I've only been playing for about a year, I've been lucky enough to
play for some well-known players. For example: John Neptune, Ronnie
Selden(based in NY), Dale Olsen(based in Florida), and I'm presently
studying with Ron Gazdiak in Chicago.

This fall I will be studying Ethnomusicology at the University of Hawaii at
Manoa.

All the best,
Steve

838 Sherman Avenue, Apt. #15