competitions?

From: Hollis Landrum (hlandrum@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 19:59:08 PDT

Adam Friedman wrote:
Currently, I'm playing two wonderful flutes ( 1.8 and roku) lent to me
by my teacher(which he is allowing me to purchase). The longer was
used when my teacher competed in the national competition and
originally belonged to his master!

I did not think shakuhachi competitions were encouraged. Although I have
competed in national string instrument competitions, I have found these
competitions often do more harm than good--both to the music and the musicians.
I thought I had found an instrument that was above competitions. What's
next, zazen competitions?!

Hollis
Regards,
Hollis