Re: Favorite CDs

From: John Doe (jdoe@erewhon.net)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 16:01:00 PDT

My name is John Doe and I have only just started playing the
shakuhachi a few months ago. I became entranced with the instrument when I
was living in Japan, but never pursued actually playing it until this year.
 For Valentine's Day, my lover purchased a student model for me. About the
same time, Michael Gould (a daishihan in shakuhachi) began holding group
lessons at my university. Though I play the violin and piano, making music
(can I call it that yet?) with the shakuhachi is an entirely new experience
-- a frustrating yet wonderful experience.

My teacher has just produced a CD that I find absolutely mesmerizing and
wanted to recommend. It's entitled, "Bosatsu Ukigumi Tamuke: Shakuhachi,
the Bamboo Flute of Japan" and is performed by him, Michael Gould. He is
selling the CDs from his own home for $17, I believe. On the disc, he
plays several lengths of instruments and I think, beautifully illustrates
the amazing range of sound that the shakuhachi can make.

In case you are interested, his address is:
  3531-5 Pheasant Run Circle
  Ann Arbor, I 48108

Gosh, this note sounds like an advertisement! I don't necessarily mean it
to, but really, I do love the CD.

Sincerely,

John Doe