From Monty

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 11:42:59 PDT

Monty sent this to me in response to my questions about the
Spirit of Samurai CD - I thought others might be as interested
as I, so ...

>From monty@pacific.net Fri May 23 10:59:15 1997
>Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:58:55 +0100
>To: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
>From: "Monty H. Levenson" <monty@pacific.net>
>Subject: Re: Spirit of Samurai CD?

Spirit of Samurai: Japanese Chant (Lyrichord #LLCT 7346)

Shakuhachi and other traditional Japanese instruments including reiken
(steel-string koto) and hotcki (bamboo flute) as well as accompaniment by
Shufu Abe, a poet singer. Shakuhachi is played by Heizan Shibata. Pieces
include: 1. Shungyo 2. Shunya 3. Nankashu 4. Meiso Nippongo 5. Fugaku O
Nozomu 6. Yuki

These pieces are chants written by Chinese and Japanese poets and recited
to musical accompaniment. Chinese peoms known as Kanshi were imported to
Japan as early as the 6th C. (same time,coincidentally, as hitoyogiri, a
forerunner to the shakuhachi). They were popular during the Edo Period
(17th-18th C) and part of cultural training for the samurai class.

The piece Yuki is not technically a poetry chant but a form of singing
known as juita which is performed with shamisen (3-string lute).

Available in cassette tape only. No CD.

I have a few copies on hand.

All the best.

Monty