Different Schools

From: ALEdwa@AOL.com
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 02:53:48 PDT

Hi

quote is interesting and inevitable given todays world of easily obtained
information. I myself have just started playing after many years of
interest. In the UK there are very few teachers so I am taught in whatever
school my teacher is trained in. I would not refuse instruction from a new
teacher of a different school and would view it as a continuation of my
learning. The other problem is a little knowledge of the subject.

For example what are the differences between Tozan and Kinko schools? I know
they use different notation and that the mouth section of the shakuhachi are
cut differently, why is this?

Are the schools that different that they need to be kept apart or is it only
in the name of tradition that the worry arises. As long as interest in the
shakuhachi continues and new players come along and ,importantly, new music
is written I can't see any problem.

I would like to see other peoples opinions on this. Also I would like some
information about the differences of the two schools metioned above if
anybody would be kind enough.

All the best
Lorne