introduction

From: Philip Gelb (ryokan@wenet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 11:31:13 PDT

Hello,

I was very happy to find this list! Nice to be able to network with some
more shakuhachi players and teachers.

9 years ago, while a senior at teh University of Florida i was introduced
to shakuhachi by Ethnomusicology Professor, Dale Olsen Bai-0 who i beagan
studying Kinko ryu with. I later began studying Meain ryu with Ronnie
Seldin in New York and with Kurahshi Yoshio-sensei in Kyoto.

Although i love studying and playing hokyoku, i am primarily interested in
new music, particularly improvisation.

I have several recordings out. Soon to be released is a duet cd, recorded
in Miami this winter with percussionist, Abbey Rader. A duet cd with Dana
Reason (piano), titled "Primal Identity" is on Deep Listening Productions
and my recent cd, "Purple Wind" featuring Miya Masaoka (koto), Gino Robair
(percussion), Dana Reason (piano), Bob Stagner (percussion) and Denis
Palmer (synthesizer) was released this spring on Ryokan Recordings. A cd
of my trio with Joe Mcphee (pocket trumpet, soprano sax) and Davey Williams
(guitar) will be released early next year and i am curently working on a
solo cd and a duet cd with Chris Brown (interactive electronics).
I am also featured on Butch Morris' "conduction #41 " cd on New
World/Countercurrents.

A few months ago i relocated from Florida to the SanFrancisco Bay area and
i am now performing here frequently as well as starting to pick up a few
students.

phil

*****As of May 1, 1997 this is my new address: *****
Philip Gelb
5534 Genoa Street
Oakland California 94608
(510) 595-9540
afn26658@afn.org
http://www.purplefrog.com/~phil/
independent distributor: Cell Tech Super Blue Green Algae