Re: Breathing exercises

From: dale r koenig (drkoenig@juno.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 1997 - 19:48:33 PDT

Everyone;

This ongoing discussion on breath augmentation has provoked me to
remember two
exercises; one of which I used in college when I was playing trumpet;
Would do this
as I was walking; Inhale slowly to a count of ten, then hold it for
the same count, and
then exhale for the same count. The other I learned at a breathing
seminar where we
lie on the floor and with complete relaxation in the torso would inhale
filling from the
very bottom to the top; very much like a breath that a tuba player would
use; instantaneous. and the exhale equally as quick. This pattern
would continue for up
to twenty minutes. Not only would it increase breath capacity, but also
clean out the
lungs. I also like to try to extend the phrases of the exercises I use,
taking maybe half
the breaths than normal.

Shakuhachingly,

Dale Koenig