Dizzy

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@pacific.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 15:33:35 PDT

Re: Hans and Ronnie's postings:

Such nice words about my work is making me dizzy!

What I've noticed over my years of blowing shakuhachi is that
light-headedness seems to result from breathing up high in the chest rather
than from down deep at the "hara" (solar plexus) or diaphragm. When fearful
or excited, one's breath is rapid and shallow, i.e. limited to the upper
body. This type of breathing is closer to "panting" and designed to deliver
oxygen immediately to the brain enabling one to better deal with danger,
stress or emergencies. I suspect Ronnie is correct in this regard. Such
breathing may stimulate the adrenal gland as well.

My experience has been that orginating the breath low at the diaphragm, no
matter how deep or full, never result in dizziness. Try it out. Breathing
is culturally conditioned with the former far more prevalent and fostered
in our western cultures. Learning to develop the breath low and deep
initially requires conscious effort, but may eventually become a response
to the world that is integrated into our everyday lives.

Monty

Monty H. Levenson
Tai Hei Shakuhachi Flutes
P.O. Box 294