Marco's visit

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 07:24:02 PDT

Hi,
   Just wanted to let everyone know how Marco's visit here in Seattle
went. Marco gave group and private lessons during the day and a
wonderful solo recital that evening. It was one of the finest shakuhachi
concerts I've seen. Marco knows how to present an evening of shakuhachi.
He played flutes of various sizes and alterated between honkyoku and
folk songs. Also, after 14 years of hundreds of concerts with the taiko
group, Ondekoza, Marco knows how to perform visually, so his movements
match the mood of the music and add to it. He also would describe each
piece in a poetic way adding interesting information about Japan.
 He played the longest shakuhachi I've ever seen, a 3.6. He is quite
tall but when I tried to play it, though I could reach the finger holes
the mouthpiece was sticking out over the top of my head. So, unless I
get my arms stretched, a 3.6 is out of the question for me.
 We are very inspired by his visit and hope he'll return on a regular
basis. He's an excellent teacher and a gentle soft spoken person. I
highly recommend his solo CD and that you try to arrange for him to come
to your area to teach and perform.
  My website should be up in about a month with my CD's and flutes for
sale. At that time I'll send in my biographical info. For now, Peter...