music by ascii

From: graham ranft (ranftg@interact.net.au)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 14:14:34 PST

Hi All. It has occured to me that there may be a need to to be able to send
tunes and melodies for the shakuhachi via the net in straight ascii that will
not require the use of scanners or netscape etc. That is tranferring the
information in western notation (which I would imagine most shakuhachi
players would know) and is common to the three major schools in such a way
so that somone with new piece or favourite melody or exercise - (try this
as a finger exercise! ) could send via any internet reader-be it Netscape
or a humble ascii terminal prog like Telix.

I have worked up a system which seems to be intuitive and easy to remember-
it has to be for me, suffering from terminal brain fade and uses the US set
of characters of the PC keyboard. It of course may never be able to
adequately render the particular grace notes and other necessary ornaments
which gives shakuhachi music so much of its special character and appeal but
I hope as a means of at least in part being able to send in a practical and
easy way a favourite piece or how do get around this awkward set of notes ?

Before I let it loose on an unsuspecting world I would welcome anyones
comments as to its usefulness or otherwise. Constructive comment will get
be very welcome and I will reply.

Be happy and well....graham in Canberra OZ
ranftg@interact.net.au