Watazumi

From: Randy Lieu (rlieu@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 22:09:22 PST

Hi,
I've been on this list for a while now and have yet to introduce myself.
My name is Randy. I bought my first shakuhachi a little more than a year
ago from Monty Levenson. For many, many years before, I had wanted to learn
to play the instrument. I am learning on my own and someday, when I am
ready, I will find a teacher.

I wanted to add some information regarding the video with an appearance by
Watazumido. I found the video several months ago at J&R Music World in New
York City. They also have a mail order service, although I'm not sure if
they sell videos through their mail order service. I also saw the video
earlier this year at the Kinokuniya Japanese Book Store at Rockefeller
Center. The name of the video series is "Beats of the Heart". The series
includes videos on African Music, Latin Music, Brazilian Music, Indian Film
Music, Gypsy Music, and the one on Japanese Music. The actual title of the
Japanese video is indeed "SUKIYAKI AND CHIPS, The Japanese Sounds of Music."
The original production was A Harcourt Films Production for Channel Four,
c1984. The video lable reads: Shinachie Entertainment Corp., p1994. It seem
to me it was re-released in 1994 or released as a home video in 1994. The
mail back card with the video gives the company's name as SHANACHIE
ENTERTAINMENT, P.O. Box 284, Newton, NJ 07860. There is no shakuhachi in
the video except for the brief Watazumido segment at the very end.

Regards,
Randy