Is the shakuhachi addictive ? & other sundry stuff...

From: graham ranft (ranftg@interact.net.au)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 20:13:53 PST

     HI ALL!

     I have now been playing shakuhachi for about 4 months or so and am
     finding that it is becoming addictive. Does anybody else find this.
     If so, why?

     I am also working on Eb more than the other meri notes. I'm using
     western note names here as I am learning Chikuho notation and I think
     most of this list are using Kinko or Tozan. I intend to learn Kinko
     notation.

     Does everyone else find Eb especially otsu fairly "fragile"? I am also
     practicing deep-meri on low D and now get a good C# and a very weak C
     natural if I really push it down. Any comments?

     Does embouchure adjustment - thin airstream? wider airstream? less
     pressure? help?

     I wish I could import some of our summer weather. Its 32c now and
     climbing to 35c.

     For now...be happy and well!

     Graham at Canberra, OZ.

     emailto: ranftg@internet.net.au

     Watch this space soon to be renewed but you can find a pix of me at:

     http://users.interact.net.au/~pran/index.htm\26