Re: shakuhachi size and pitch

From: David Bump (dbump@frii.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 20:14:46 PST

Brian,

My two amateur cents:

>Does anybody know how exactly to describe the sizes of various
>shakuhachi? Is it strictly by length, or is pitch a consideration as

As much as I don't like the notion, I suspect that 'exactly' and 'strictly'
are difficult to apply to bamboo instruments, given the variation in
materials. It's much easier with PVC, but then that's not nearly as spiffy
looking.

>Since length seems to be the main factor in determining what to call
>your instrument, does anyone know exactly how many centimeters or inches
>is a shaku? A sun?

I believe a shaku is a little less than 303 mm, or 11.92 inches.

I haven't seen much discussion of flute construction here; are there any other
builders lurking out there? I've been thinking about ways to construct a
mandrel that will allow for a single-cast, complex-profile bore, for minimal
finish work. It can't be one piece, of course (not if you want to remove it
from the flute, that is ;) ), but I'm wondering which approach to take--a
multi-piece mandrel that breaks apart radially (full bore-length pieces,
bundled together) or laterally (two cones, with their points converging at the
bottleneck).
Has anyone done this sort of thing?

Has anyone worked with metal shakuhachi? I made a copper one which was
beautiful, but a bear to play (I suspect the thin wall tubing contributed to
that).

--
David
dbump at frii.com
There are no wrong notes.  --Thelonious Monk