saturday afternoon in Willits

From: Philip Gelb (ryokan@wenet.net)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 19:38:15 PST

This past saturday in Willits, California John Neptune gave a master class
at Monty Levenson's house. It was quite a beautiful scene, a circle of 13
people with shakuhachi sitting in Monty's living room!
This was my first opportunity to meet John who is undoubtedly one of the
most technically advanced shakuhachi players of today. The master class
was quite fascinating and John had some excellent insight to provide to the
rest of us. He is a very nice person and a very good teacher; extremely
happy to share his 27+ years of experience with the instrument!
I very much appreciated him giving this free class and very much appreciate
the generosity of Monty and Kayo Levenson for having us all at their house
on top of the hill in Willits.
It would be nice to have more events like this in the area. Most of the
people were from the SanFrancisco Bay area so it probably makes sense to
have some events here. Since there are several teachers out in this area
(Masayuki Koga, John Singer, Barry Weiss, myself and others) there are
several dozen players in the bay area.

I am going to try and host Kurahashi Yoshio-sensei next year. He is
currently in the US, visiting Colorado, NYC and Boston on this trip. For
several years he has come to the states every February and i would like to
have SanFrancisco added to his trip next year.

phil

ps if anyone is in berkeley on friday night and has nothing to do and wants
to hear shakuhachi and eat japanese food, stop by O-Chame restaurant on 4th
street from 6- 9 pm

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi:performance, lessons
ryokan@wenet.net
755-A Clayton
SanFrancisco, CA 94117
415 681 4529
http://www.hooked.net/~ryokan/ *****yet another new address for my new
homepage******
independent distributor: Cell Tech Super Blue Green Algae
Homer Simpson Quote of the week
"to think I wasted my time bathing in eternal happiness when all along,
right in front of me was BEER!"