Oiling shakuhachi

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sat Mar 14 1998 - 22:51:54 PST

Hi to everyone,
   I agree with what Monty said about putting a cello humidifier inside
a flute. It adds too much moisture. I just wanted to put up for
discussion the subject of oiling shakuhachi.
Everyone I know used to oil there flutes. But lately many have
stopped. When I was in Japan last December several makers said not to
use oil because it makes it harder to repair the flute if it cracks.
Some say it doesn't help prevent cracking at all. One book even says
oiling can ruin the sound of a flute. They suggest keeping it wrapped
in deerskin. I asked Riley Lee and he no longer applies oil. And of
course many religiously oil there flutes.

I lightly oil my flutes and keep them in plastic bags. I don't' know if
the oil helps, but I guess I just like the way it makes the bamboo
darken, and after so many years it's become a habit. I feel that if
there's a chance it helps, why not do it?

So, what do you think? Peter...