Re: Re-Ronnie's comments

From: Ronald Seldin (nyogetsu@panix.com)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 16:54:47 PST

Dear Peter,

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Peter Ross wrote:

> Ronnie,
>
> I guess if you keep the flutes "humidified" consistently they will
> be fine.

Exactly...

 Also, theories are theories, but nothing works like success.
> By the way, when I mail a flute to Japan that I don't want to buy, and
> don't want to be responsible for if it cracks, I usually include a damp
> sponge or piece of cloth in the plastic bag. So I do use that technique
> at times. I guess the danger, like Monty implied, would be in putting
> the flute in a wet and dry cycle, back and forth, which would cause
> cracking.

Again, right on the mark...

> I wondered why you don't oil your flutes. You say you never have for
> many reasons. What are those reasons.

Well, I guess "many" reasons was a bit of an exaggeration..Basically, I
don't like the smell of the oil from walnuts or the residue that it leaves
sometimes, even when thouroughly wiped off..Also, I've never believed that
it helps against cracking, although it does darken the Bamboo quicker..
The water , or humidity, that keeps the Bamboo happy, goes up through its
"Tubers", as Bamboo is a "grass" not a hard-wood..It seems to me that the
oiling process will not accomplish the same end..But as you stated, if it
works, stay with it!!!

Ronnie

   Peter...