Steamed bamboo

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 17:24:55 PST

   Ronnie,

   One other thing to add. When I visited Mejiros in Dec. they had bins
full of almost black "steamed bamboo". Some call it "smoked bamboo". It
certainly smells smoked, almost like salmon, though the smell fades
after awhile. This new process is being toted as a way to crack-proof
bamboo. I bought a smoked bamboo ha-sun from Kimura Kanzan, who lives
in gunma-ken, right near the folks who do the processing. He told me it
wasn't fool-proof, but the best thing so far. Has anyone else had any
experiences with this?
      By the way, you're probably right that oiling the bamboo doesn't
add moisture where it's needed the most. Somehow it feels like I'm
letting the bamboo know I care. (I can't believe I just said that, in
public and all). Peter...

Dear Peter,

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Peter Ross wrote:

> Ronnie,
>
> I guess if you keep the flutes "humidified" consistently they will

> be fine.

Exactly...

 Also, theories are theories, but nothing works like success.
> By the way, when I mail a flute to Japan that I don't want to buy, and

> don't want to be responsible for if it cracks, I usually include a
damp
> sponge or piece of cloth in the plastic bag. So I do use that
technique
> at times. I guess the danger, like Monty implied, would be in
putting
> the flute in a wet and dry cycle, back and forth, which would cause
> cracking.

Again, right on the mark...

> I wondered why you don't oil your flutes. You say you never have for
> many reasons. What are those reasons.

Well, I guess "many" reasons was a bit of an exaggeration..Basically, I
don't like the smell of the oil from walnuts or the residue that it
leaves
sometimes, even when thouroughly wiped off..Also, I've never believed
that
it helps against cracking, although it does darken the Bamboo quicker..
The water , or humidity, that keeps the Bamboo happy, goes up through
its
"Tubers", as Bamboo is a "grass" not a hard-wood..It seems to me that
the
oiling process will not accomplish the same end..But as you stated, if
it
works, stay with it!!!

Ronnie