Re: Steamed bamboo

From: Ronald Seldin (nyogetsu@panix.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 07:53:14 PST

Peter,

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Peter Ross wrote:

> Ronnie,
>
> One other thing to add. When I visited Mejiros in Dec. they had bins
> full of almost black "steamed bamboo". Some call it "smoked bamboo". It
> certainly smells smoked, almost like salmon, though the smell fades
> after awhile. This new process is being toted as a way to crack-proof
> bamboo. I bought a smoked bamboo ha-sun from Kimura Kanzan, who lives
> in gunma-ken, right near the folks who do the processing. He told me it
> wasn't fool-proof, but the best thing so far. Has anyone else had any
> experiences with this?

I'm familiar with the smoked bamboo and have sold a few flutes that have
been "smoked"...But I alsways thought that it was only for the
purpose of darkening the bamboo and thus making them more
attractive..Didn't know that it had anything to do with making them
safe from cracking...I've also sold about three of Kanzan's
flutes...pretty...

> By the way, you're probably right that oiling the bamboo doesn't
> add moisture where it's needed the most. Somehow it feels like I'm
> letting the bamboo know I care. (I can't believe I just said that, in
> public and all).

Actually, this last statement doesn't seem at all strange or odd to
me..Maybe, we've all been hanging around bamboo too long!!!

Take Care,
Ronnie

Peter...