Ralf Muhlberger Bio

From: Ralf Muhlberger (ralf@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 16:38:29 PDT

I'd been entranced by the sound of the Shakuhachi for as long as I can
remember, although I didn't learn the name of the instrument until mid
to late 1996. Funnily enough, I'd been hearing Shakuhachi in various
places and pieces of music at that time and learnt the name off a friend's
keyboard instrument list...

My first shakuhachi was an inexpensive bamboo instrument from a local
instrument maker, bought at the Woodford Folk Festival -- a weeklong
folk festival held every year over the New Years period in Woodford,
Queensland Australia.

At the festival I also heard Riley Lee play, went to his breathing
workshop, and was given the name of a local teacher. I've been learning
Chikuho school Koten Honkyoku ever since, from my teacher Carl Rathus
here in Brisbane.

I've also upgraded to a David Brown Shakuhachi since my (out of tune)
beginnings, which I'm very very happy with. Thanks David for making
such great instruments. Not only is the sound great, it also looks
fantastic.

Ralf