Re: NPR shaku story

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@pacific.net)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 22:54:34 PDT

>Fellow shaku players,
>
>I am desperately searching for a copy of the shakuhachi story NPR ran on
>its "All Things Considered" show last Friday. If anyone can help me out,
>please let me
>know. (I already know that NPR will sell me a tape, but they want $25 for
> it, and I'm not that desperate.)
>
>If you can help, please email me at
> tcorn440@stratos.net
>
>Mark Kmetzko

---------------------------------

NPR's archive of programs offers free audio files of each story played on
the air. Unfortunately, due to technical problems, the All Things
Considered piece on the WSF is unavailable. A transcript of the segment,
however, can be obtained for about $15.

Shakuhachi -- The Japanese flute called the shakuhachi has been part of
Japanese culture for thousands of years. Now, the 5-holed bamboo instrument
is finding its way into all sorts of music beyond its meditative origins.
Michael Velasco talks to players in America who are playing the shakuhachi
and are being challenged by this simple flute. July 17,1998.

This item is unavailable due to technical problems.

To order transcripts and tapes of this story and others, please call:
Toll-Free 1-888-NPR NEWS (1-888-677-6397)
International calls: (+301)883-2178
Or write:
NPR Tapes and Transcripts
P.O. Box 4370
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20775-4370
Please include program name, date and subject.

 All Things Considered. Transcripts, $17.90 ($29.95 by fax or $19.95
e-mail for entire show, $14.95 for a segment). Tape and transcript
co-packs, $27.90.

Another suggestion is to contact Jim Schleffer, who was interviewed in the
piece at nyoraku@compuserve.com

All the best.

Monty

Monty H. Levenson