James Nyoraku Schlefer Concert (fwd)

From: Michael A. Firman (maf@mcs.net)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 11:32:12 PDT

> Dear Shakuhachi Blowers,
>
> Those of us who attended James Schlefer's concert at the Knitting
> Factory last night were treated to a delightful display of shakuhachi
> prowess. The repertoire performed was diverse, consisting of
> compositions by Rando and Seiho, traditional Honkyoku and even an
> amazing rendition of Jinbo Sanya on (western) alto flute.
>
> New York shakuhachi players and listeners should definitely avail
> themselves of the opportunity to hear this fine musician when he
> performs again.
>
> Which brings me to a question for the list. At the shakuhachi concerts I
> have attended (except the Boulder Festival of course) there is a
> shocking dearth of other shakuhachi players in the audience. It's nice
> that the general public shows up for these things, but one would think
> there would be more curiosity among fellow players. What gives?
>
> Regards, Brian

Well Brian, I'm here in the Chicago-Land area and we rarely even
have performers come through! I think I know most, if not all,
the players in this area (I count less than 10). We'd like some
performers to come through and play and I can safely say that most
of the players here would come to such a performance.