Not in Seattle

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 14:40:07 PDT

 Hi Brian,

There are only a few Shakuhachi players here in Seattle, but we usually
try to catch each others performances. We can learn from each other,
even if there's things we don't like about the other player's style,
technique or taste in music. I went up to Vancouver, B.C. last year to
hear a so called "master player" from Japan. It was the worst
shakuhachi concert I'd ever been to. But, I still learned from it. I
learned what not to do, which is real valuable.

And in the last year both Marco Lienhard and John Neptune have performed
in Seattle. Though their styles and taste in music differ, we all
learned a great deal from such fine performers.

If musicians are serious, they'll listen to others every chance they
get. Not to copy, but to be inspired and to get ideas.

Peter Ross

--
Cloud Hands Music
http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com/peteross/

Dear Shakuhachi Blowers,

Those of us who attended James Schlefer's concert at the Knitting Factory last night were treated to a delightful display of shakuhachi prowess. The repertoire performed was diverse, consisting of compositions by Rando and Seiho, traditional Honkyoku and even an amazing rendition of Jinbo Sanya on (western) alto flute.

New York shakuhachi players and listeners should definitely avail themselves of the opportunity to hear this fine musician when he performs again.

Which brings me to a question for the list. At the shakuhachi concerts I

have attended (except the Boulder Festival of course) there is a shocking dearth of other shakuhachi players in the audience. It's nice that the general public shows up for these things, but one would think there would be more curiosity among fellow players. What gives?

Regards, Brian