Re: shakuhachi list

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 09:38:11 PST

>From nemo2000@worldnet.att.net Sat Feb 13 14:36:37 1999
>To: bjones@ucsd.edu
>Subject: shakuhachi list
>
>Dear Bruce,
>
>I would like to make a suggestion about the mailing list. When I first
>joined it was much more enjoyable because email would come from the news
>group, and responses would go aback to the news group as well. At some
>point this was changed so that people send letters to the newsgroup, but
>if anyone replies it goes directly to that person rather than to the
>newsgroup as a whole. So situations are always occuring where someone
>asks a question or requests information from the newsgroup, but receives
>the responses directly rather than having them channeled through the
>forum. ...

I'm replying to this message in public because it unmasks a problem
with electronic mailing lists. Mr. Nemo (whose real name shall
remain a mystery for now :-) is correct. Many times, when someone
posts a question to the list, the respondents send their replies
back to the originator of the question and no one else on the list
gets to see the discussion.

Unfortunately, this is not something I can do anything about. How a
response gets routed - back to the originator or back to the entire
list - depends on how the client mail programi is configured. In
non-computerese, this means that you, the person typing in the
response, determine who gets to see your response. You have to be
aware and chose whether your response is going back to the person
who sent the original message or if it will go out to everyone on
shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu

Now, I'd like to see every response to every question, so I hope you
all will take the time to figure out how to send your responses to
the list and not just to the originator.

After all, we're all in this together, even if only spiritually (for
the most part).

yours,

bj

-