*Suizen*

From: Windsor Viney (wgviney@uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 12:28:49 PST

Has anyone any information specifically about
shakuhachi-playing-as-meditation, sometimes called *suizen*, "blowing zen"?
I got a helpful response by e-mail from Ms. Yael Greenberg-Sharoni
elaborating a bit upon the abstract of her Master's thesis which appears on
her Web page

http://public.most.co.il/~ssharoni/thesis.htm

-- unfortunately for me, the thesis itself is in Hebrew, a language I do
not read. I've also studied the very informative account (about this and
many other aspects of the instrument) adapted from Yuko Kamisango's work in
Christopher Yohmei Blasdel's *The Shakuhachi: A Manual for Learning*.

Does anyone know if there are exponents of the shakuhachi in Japan (willing
to teach *gaijin*, that is) or in North America who emphasize the *suizen*
aspect of the instrument? I'm not sure if it's meaningful or not to say
"who continue the ancient tradition," since schools seem to have multiplied
of late, with history and lineages not entirely agreed upon; what *is*
clear is that the Fuke school was abolished by government decree (for what
might have been pretty good reasons...). Has anyone tried to revive, or
even succeeded in reviving, the Fuke-shu?

Windsor Viney

Windsor Viney / Department of Philosophy / University of Waterloo /
Waterloo, Ontario / Canada N2L 3G1 / e-mail: wgviney@uwaterloo.ca / office:
Hagey Hall 362; telephone (519) 888-4567, extension 3809 / fax: (519)
746-3097 / residence phone: (519) 576-4820