Tenri Tours' 99...Itinerary

From: Ronald Seldin (nyogetsu@panix.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 12:19:27 PST

Hi, everybody...

This is the (tentative) Itinerary for the annual Tour of Japan, which is
not only for Shakuhachi musicians, but for anyone who has an interest in
visiting Japan at an inexpensive price..I would like to apologize to any
of you if:

1-You are getting more than one copy..
2-This subject does not interest you

For the rest of you, please feel free to call or email me for any detailed
further information..At the present time, I have 4 on board (plus myself),
and I will close it off after 4 more people join up...

This is a tour that I do annually, and there will be much emotion ,
laughter, and joy...I hope you can join us !!..

Tenri Tours '99

May 21- Leave from JFK Airport to Kansai International Airport (Carrier to
be determined), Osaka, Japan..

May 22- (In transit over the International date-line)..Arrive in Kansai
International Airport in the evening..Take a Bus to Tenri (a small ,
beautiful village in Nara Prefecture).Stay at the TOHON TSUMESHO for the
next 5-nights having Breakfast and Dinner at the Tsumesho..

May 23- Spend the day getting used to Japan..Shop on Hondori..Take the
first two Besseki...We may visit the famous ethnic folk Museum- the
Sankokan,

May 24- On this day we will see the oldest Shinto Shrine in Japan (ISE NO
KAMI JINGU), and walk on the oldest mountain road in Japan (YAMA NOBE NO
MICHI)..
         We will also listen to 2 more Besseki Lectures..

May 25- We will leave for a day trip to Kyoto ,after Breakfast. Guided on
this day by Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei, we will go to the Ennichi (Temple
Sale) at Kitano-Jinja..At this Japanese "Flea-market" , one can find true
bargains on kimono, scrolls, pottery, traditional instruments, etc.. We
will return to Tenri for dinner.

May 26- Is the day of the monthly festival in Tenri.. In the afternoon we
will visit the city of Nara, the first capital of Japan. In addition to
seeing the "sacred-deer", we will also visit the DAI-BUTTSU (the largest
wooden Buddha in the world- housed in the largest wooden structure
!!..)..We will also visit an art Museum of National treasures.

May 27-On this day we will go to Kyoto (where we will be staying at SORYO
BUN-KYOKAI). On the way there we will visit UJI -the birthplace of the
Tea-Ceremony, and also where we can get the best tea in Japan..We will
visit on of the oldest tea-Shops..We will also visit two Zen-Buddhist
Temples (BYODO-IN, and the "koto"-Temple)..In the evening we will visit
HON DAIGO..

May 28- On this day we will visit two of the most famous gardens in Japan-
Katsura Rikyu and Shugaku-in.. They are both former Imperial Villa's, and
are exquisite..

May 29-We will visit the Buddhist Temple TOFUKUJI, as well as visiting the
downtown Kyoto area..There will probably be a traditional Japanese Music
Concert in the evening.

May 30- We will go to Kyoto Handicraft center as well as Heian Shrine (and
view the beautiful gardens behind the shrine)..In the evening we will have
a farewell party..

May 31- We will go to Tokyo where we will get settled in at Tohon
Dai-Kyokai..

From June 1st -June 5th we will do the following activities in Tokyo..I'm
not sure yet which of the days will get the exact activities, so I will
arbitrarily (for the most part) assign them to each day...

June 1- is the monthly date for the Nyusha-Sai Ceremony at Tohon Grand
Church..We will be welcomed..We will also visit the famous ASAKUSA
Shopping area near Tohon..

June 2- We will perhaps visit the Art Museums in Ueno Park, and there will
be a concert at HON-NAKA Bun Kyokai in the afternoon/evening..

June 3- We will go to the Grand Kabuki (Kabuki-za) today..It is a
magnificent experience that lasts over 4 1/2 hours!!

June 4- On this day we will all go to the small village of Hitachi-Shi in
Ibaraki Prefecture..There we will visit a Shakuhachi maker (Sadao
Chinone),have a feast with him, and look at his farm, and work-studio. In
the late afternoon, we will perform in a Concert..

June 5- is our last day in Japan..It is a day for special interests..We
may visit the great Shakuhachi teacher AOKI-REIBO, or there can be more
Temples, AIKIDO _DOJO's, or something else.. And of course we must pack,
and have another farewell party !!

June 6- We return to New York, arriving before we left!! (Due to the
International Dateline!!..)

You may reach me at:
phone/fax: 212-818-0897
email: Nyogetsu@panix.com