Monbusho

From: Casano (scasano@hawaii.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 11:25:29 PST

At 07:57 PM 3/23/1999 -1000, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
> Hope all is well. The list has been mighty silent recently.
>Thought I'd stimulate a little discussion over something that is perhaps
>inversely proportional to the spirit of shakuhachi blowing- grants and
>funding for study in Japan. I'm currently investigating Tokyo Geidai
>and monbusho scholarships and would welcome any additional suggestions
>you might have about where to look.

Dear Adam,

I was just informed last month that I am a recipient of the Monbusho
scholarship. I will be studying at Osaka University. Although Osaka
University is not known for its shakuhachi performance program, it will
enable me to work with Tukitani Tenuko of Osaka Gedai who's the currently
conducting much of the research in Japan on the shakuhachi. During my stay
I hope to work closely with the Osaka Shakuhachi Kenkyukai (Tukitani sensei
and other scholars and performers). Concerning my study of the shakuhachi,
I plan on studying with one of Yokoyama Katsuya's students in Osaka named
Ishikawa Toshimitsu. Furthermore, I intend to make frequent trips to
Yokoyama sensei's shakuhachi institute in Bisei.

Concerning the Monbusho scholarship, please keep in mind that it is a long
process and requires much patience on your part. If you are affiliated
with a university, they should have information concerning the Monbusho
scholarship (Asian Studies Dept., Japanese Language Dept, etc.). If you are
unable to find information at your university, I would suggest you contact
the Japanese Consulate for further information. The application process is
as follows:
1) Japanese Language exam

2) if you pass the exam (keep in mind that individuals involved in music are
not required to have an extremely high proficiency level in Japanese; that's
reserved for the historians, anthropologists, etc.), an interview will then
be conducted.

3) upon completion of the interview the consulate will decide if they would
recommend you to the Japanese Ministry of Education.

4) if you pass the interview and are recommended to the government by the
consulate, you then have to wait a month or two (or even longer) to find
out whether the government has accepted you.

5) upon acceptance by the government, you then have to wait for your
placement and acceptance by the university you would like to attend. Please
keep in mind that a letter from a sponsor from the university you wish to
intend increases you chances of acceptance. I would recommend one of the
first things you should do if you are interested in the Monbusho
scholarship, is try to establish contact with someone affiliated with Tokyo
Gedai as soon as possible!

Good Luck!

Steven Casano

CASANO