Re: To study or not to study

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 11:13:26 PST

Just wanted to increase Adam's few cents by a little. I think that was great
advice and well said. I just wanted to add that when somebody says they
really want to develop there own sound, I would bet that they have a picture
of some musician(s) or composer(s) who have done so. They are probably
thinking more along the lines of (Coltrane, Stravinsky, James Brown,
Yokoyama,..) than say Spike Jones (a great comedic musician who incorporated
lots of weird novelty sounds). I submit that there aren't many (if any)
musicians who have developed a sound that is both unique and lasting, and
that did so in isolation. Sure, you might come up with some strange new way
of making sounds on the shakuhachi but that dosen't seem like it would be
very satisfying to either the player or listener in the long run. To me the
great thing about the shakuhachi (or more indirectly any other instrument)
whether used as an instrument or a meditation tool is the possibility of
developing some degree of selflessness - that's certainly what I feel in any
of the music I love. Tying in to a creative tradition, as described by
Riley, would certainly seem to help one along in that regard.

That said, I think Bas made a good point, in focusing on the fact that it is
ultimately the joy you feel (and bring to others if you choose to play for
anyone) when you play that should guide you (hope that wasn't too ridiculous
a paraphrase !). If not studying with a teacher accomplishes that, then
that's the way you should go. It just seems to me there is a rich set of
other possibilities.

-- KY

Karl Young
UCSF,VA Medical Center