Re: Music Store Question

From: Ronald Seldin (nyogetsu@panix.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 08:08:46 PDT

Dear Michael,

There is only one store that sells Shakuhachi notation in Kyoto (although
there are other stores in OSaka)..

It is called KANAZEN, and is located on the small street that borders the
famous MINAMI-ZA (Kabuki) Theatre...The theater is located east of the
Kamo River at the SHIJO-DORI train stop...SO you would leave the DENSHA,
cross the street, and turn RIGHT on SHIJO-DORI..At your first right turn
(it is right past this magnificent historical Theatre...and you are in the
GION district- interesting in its own right), turn, walk straight down,
5-8 mionutes, and KANAZEN is a small store on your right side..It is easy
to miss, but if you know the KANJI for Shakuhachi (or Shamisen, or Koto),
you will be able to read the sign..It carries a full-selection (usually)
of the CHIKUYU-SHA (Kawase) edition of the KINKO-RYU GAIKYOKU..

It also has SHIN-KYOKU, MINYO, cases, recordings, etc..
Stay away for the Shakuhachi for sale..
One should never buy a Shakuhachi in a store (over-priced, and
under-quality !!)..

Good Luck,
Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin