Chinese music notation

From: asharpe@sasquatch.com
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 14:18:07 PDT

Hello,

I recently came back from a vacation in China, where I purchased
several Dizi, and Chinese music for the Dizi. I have used this type of
notation (Sol Fa, aka Cipher Notation, aka "Kung-ch'e system", with
numbers and dots above them for the notes, and lines under the numbers
for note durations) before, but I have never seen a complete tutorial
of all the various embellishment symbols. Can you point me to some
resource that I might be able to use? I'd prefer it in English, but my
girlfriend is Chinese, so even if it was in Mandarin, I might be able
to use it.

        Thanks very much for your time,

        Andrew Sharpe
        asharpe@sasquatch.com

P.S. Why did I ask this mailing list? Well, I also play shakuhachi,
and I greatly respect the opinions of the members of this list. In
addition, since the notation may not be limited to China, I thought
perhaps that someone might have some more information.