Riley Lee Visits Bay Area in August

From: Michael Connelly (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 10:25:02 PDT

Hello All,

Shakuhachi master Riley Lee will be visiting the Bay Area from Thursday
8/19 through Saturday 8/21. On Thursday evening we have arranged for him to
give a master class/breathing workshop/informal discussion in Berkeley.
This 3 hr. event, offered for a minimal fee, is intended to give us Bay
Area players a chance to get together with Riley. On Friday night at 8pm,
he will perform a solo concert at the Clarion Music Center in San Francisco
(http://www.clarionmusic.com/events/events.html).

In addition, Riley will be available to give individual lessons on Thursday
afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning. Thursday and
Friday lessons will be in Berkeley, and Saturday's will be in SF. Students
are invited to observe others' lessons. Please let me know if you would
like to schedule a one-hour lesson for $50. I will fill the time slots on a
first-come first-served basis and I expect these lessons will fill quickly,
so please let me know as soon as you can, and tell me what time you'd
prefer.

For those who might not know, Riley Lee is an American master teacher (the
first non-Japanese Dai Shihan) now living near Sydney Australia, who has
been playing for nearly thirty years. He began as a student of Sakai
Chikuho II and has been a student of his current teacher, Yokoyama Katsuya,
for almost 15 years. In addition to holding the linages of both the Chikuho
school and Yokoyama's Dokyoku, Riley earned a Ph.D in ethnomusicology from
the University of Sydney in 1993 (for his thesis, see
http://www.shakuhachi.com/PG-Lee.html). To date, he has released over 30
recordings of honkyoku, folk songs, original compositions, world music,
etc. Needless to say, these credentials place him in a unique position in
the shakuhachi world. What's more, he's an incredibly friendly and
encouraging teacher who's fully dedicated to making learning shakuhachi
intriguing and fun!

I'll keep everyone posted of his visit as the details fill in. Please let
me know if you have any questions, want to schedule a lesson, or plan to
come to the Thursday evening event. By the way, following his Bay Area
visit, Riley will be guest teacher (along with Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei) at
the Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies
(http://www.shakuhachi.com/C-SummerCamp.html).

Best wishes,
Michael