new member bio: Toby Marshall

From: kymarto (kymarto@gol.com)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 00:24:19 PDT

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an all-around wind player (mostly
flute and sax) who picked up the shakuhachi about 15 years ago. I have been
living in Tokyo for the past 13 years and around 6 years ago started
attending the shakuhachi-making workshop sponsored by a local store (Meijiro
in Takadanobaba). This was almost as much fun as playing, and by now I am
relatively well versed in both traditional and modern construction
techniques, and have made a couple of quite good (surprised myself) flutes
including a 1.8 and a 2.5, with others in progress. The Meijiro class is
taught by professional shakuhachi-making sensei who donate their time as a
service in disseminating information on this traditionally secretive craft.

The shop, in addition to selling all types and levels of flutes and
accessories, carries a stock of "take" (bamboo), as well as a full range of
tools, materials and measuring instruments for making flutes.

I was also quite lucky to find a number of good instruments in secondhand
stores and pawn shops, including a very old Shinzen 1.8 as well as some
wonderful Chikuzen flutes in 1.7, 1.8, 2.0--all around 50 years old. Also
took a workshop with John Neptune in long- flute construction in which he
talked about and demonstrated some of his revolutionary techniques in making
and balancing flutes.

With my son just at toddler age, I find my time to pursue these matters has
become quite limited, but I am hoping to get back to it when circumstances
allow.

If anyone needs information from Japan please e-mail me at kymarto@gol.com
and I will do my best to try to help you.

Toby Marshall