Thesis(questionnaire)

From: Casano (scasano@hawaii.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 13:08:21 PDT

Hello all,

I was wondering if you would take the time to fill out this questionnaire.
I am presently conducting research for my thesis on the transmission and
dissemination of the shakuhachi tradition to the West. In order for the
information to remain strictly confidential, please e-mail the questionnaire
directly to me (scasano@hawaii.edu), not to the shakuhachi e-mail list. Any
information or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Steven Casano

1)Name:

2)Age:

3)Occupation:

4)Country in which you reside:

5) Style/School of shakuhachi playing(i.e., Kinko, etc.):

6) Level of playing and number of years of study:

7)License (i.e.,none, juu-shihan, shihan, etc.)

8) Teachers (please indicate when and where you studied with them. For
example. Yokoyama Katsuya, 1994-1998, Okayama, Japan)

9) Japanese language ability:

10) First introduction to the shakuhachi (i.e., recording, live performance,
etc. Please be specific as to when, where, and the specific artist or
recording, if known):

11) What aspect of the shakuhachi most inspired you to pursue your studies:

12) Did you have a previous interest in Japanese culture:

13) What is your religious affiliation:

14)Do you play other musical instruments:

15) Where and from whom did you purchase your shakuhachi:

16) Do you have an interest in constructing your own shakuhachi:

17) In your opinion, name five of the most influential shakuhachi
players/teachers who have been significant in bringing the shakuhachi to the
West:

18) What styles of shakuhachi playing interest you the most (i.e., honkyoku,
sankyoku, experimental works, etc.):
CASANO
1634 Makiki Street #1102
Honolulu, HI 96822