Riley Lee Visit to SF Bay Area: Update

From: Michael Connelly (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 21:18:57 PDT

Hello Everyone,

As many of you know, Australian-based shakuhachi master Riley Lee will pay
a rare visit to Berkeley and San Francisco from Thursday 8/19 through
Saturday 8/21. Here is an update of his schedule.

SCHEDULED EVENTS:

Event: Combination Master Class / Breathing Workshop / Discussion
Time: Thursday Evening (8/19), 7pm-10pm
Location: 1016 Spruce Street, Berkeley (Nik Warren's home)
Cost: $10-15 sliding scale

As planned, Thursday's event will start with a master class focusing on the
finer points of the honkyoku piece 'Tamuke'. Riley will then introduce some
of his famous breathing exercises. After we have all been warmed up by
this, he will teach a group class on one of three possible pieces:
Shingetsu, Ajikan, or Azuma Jishi (We must come to a consensus about which
one by then!). Afterward, we hope to have time for an informal discussion
and chance for Riley to get to know us a little.

Event: Solo Concert
Time: Friday Evening (8/20) at 8pm
Location: Clarion Music Center, 816 Sacramento Street in San Francisco
(http://www.clarionmusic.com/events/wmcdetail.html)
Cost: $10

LESSONS

Riley will be available for individual lessons on Thursday afternoon,
Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning. There are only a few 1
hour lesson spots still available ($50/hr), so please contact me soon to
schedule. Thursday's lessons will be at 1016 Spruce Street in Berkeley,
Friday's lessons at 2207 Rose Street in Berkeley (Robert Kehlmann's home),
and Saturday's lessons at 309 31st Ave in San Francisco (Karl Young's
home). Students are invited to observe others' lessons.

Here are the people scheduled for lessons so far,
Thurs: Ron Nelson, Nik Warren, Michael Connelly, Nancy Beckman
Fri: Robert Kehlmann, Zachary Braverman, Ron Nelson, Michael Connelly,
Bruce Jones
Sat: Karl Young, Mary Lu Brandwein, Bridget Fisher, Bruce Jones

Please contact me if your have any questions. I'll send a reminder and
update as the time approaches.

Best wishes,
Michael