Re: Komuso Characters

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 10:32:14 PDT

At 09/07/1999 04:35 PM -0700, Zachary Braverman wrote:
>"
>
>"Mu" is much easier. It is used pretty frequently in Japanese, but it is
>also used often, for example, in classical Chinese Buddhist sutras. In the
>Heart Sutra, for instance, "mu" is used to mean the nothingness of the
>absolute reality. It is also used as a nullifier, as the "no" in "no color,
>no form." In modern Japanese, you combine it with "meaning" to mean
>"meaningless," and "consciously" to mean "unconsciously." You get the idea.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting that you mention "no" as a nullifier and "meaningless". I now
remember the person also said "no meaning" before he said nonsense. I
thought he meant the words had no meaning, or that he didn't now the
meaning, since he seem to be struggling with understanding it. From what
you are saying now, he meant the actually *definition* of the character was
"no meaning, nonsense" or "meaningless" as you put it. "Monks of no
meaning", "Monks of meaningless(ness)". (Doesn't sound any better than before!)

It's a good thing Shaolin Monks didn't play music. "Shaolin Kung Fu Komuso
= Monks who work hard for nothing! Monks who's hard work is meaningless!
Monks who work hard for empty meaning!" (Oh, I take it back. that sounds
like corporate workers. Or PhD candidates?)

Thanks for explanation.

Herb, "The unconscious air head, flying high kicking, hard working,
absolutely really good for nothing, monk"