shakuhachi construction...

From: Peter Ross (cloudhandsmusic@ebox.oo.net)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 11:54:19 PDT

Subject:
          shakuhachi construction
    Date:
          Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:27:39 +0100
   From:
          "antonio borges" <antonio@PorMares.zzn.com>
      To:
          shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu

Hi everyone!
I´m trying to find informatio about how to make the shakuhachi.
Any information is wellcome.

antonio borges

Hi Antonio,
Here's some more info.

Besides contacting Tom Deaver and getting Monty Levinson's booklet
(which is probably the best way to get started), Ken La Cosse has a
booklet on making caste bore shakuhachi. You see there are four ways to
make shakuhachi these days.

1) Traditional: hand taper the bore with powdered stone and lacquer,
then coat with urushi.
2) Natural bore: clean out the bore and pretty much leave it's natural
shape or taper.
3) Wooden Shakuhachi: Use a tapered steel reamer on a lathe to ream out
a tapered bore.
4) Caste bore: Make and then place a tapered reamer inside the bamboo
and pour resin around it.

The traditional way can produce by far the finest shakuhachi but is also
the most difficult to learn. This way really requires doing an
apprenticeship with a maker in Japan, something that Tom Daver did for
around seven years. It involves using urushi lacquer which many people
are allergic to. But if you are game to try on your own Mejiros in Tokyo
has all the materials available from their web site.

I couldn't tell if you are learning to play the shakuhachi or just want
to try making one. Everyone agrees that you have to be a good player to
be a good maker.

Good luck,

Peter

--