Kwai Chang Caine: flute maker

From: wmbailey (wmbailey@gateway.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 17:24:08 PDT

    About five years ago, I was watching an episode of Kung-Fu the Legend and got a good look at David Caradine's flute. What I noticed was that the flute was a shakuhachi rolled over on its side. A sideblown shakuhachi; that's strange. So I took a length of bamboo that I didnt really care about and made one. It worked. So I took a better length and made another. I've made four or five of these flutes. It feel a little awkward at first, and I still haven' t found a really comfortable place for the thumb hole, but these things do everything I wish my shakuhachis would do. Just an interesting story along the flute path. a little food for thought. Thoughts? Ideas? In his book "The Spirit of Shaolin," Caradine talks at length about his flutes, getting them on the show and what they mean to him. (not much on how to) It's worth the read I think. Bill