Yokoyama

From: Tom (shaku100@aax.mtci.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 13:31:49 PST

I paid a visit to Yokoyama Katsuya at his home in Okayama in late September.
He had been out of the hospital a while and was giving shakuhachi lessons
when my son and I arrived for lunch. He was in good spirits and as nasty as
ever, getting on the students about being out of pitch or not putting enough
feeling into the music.

He does make a few trips out to teach, to Hiroshima and Shimizu, although he
has not been to Tokyo since returning to Japan from Germany where all this
happened. The Nakano studio is currently being manned by the people who
always helped him at the master classes.

Yesterday, 5 November, 1999, he phoned to say that, among other things, he
would probably be in Tokyo one more time before the end of the year. All in
all, he is
less active but still mentally his usual self.

Tom Deaver

Bei Shu Shakuhachi Workshop
http://www.aax.mtci.ne.jp/~shaku100/