Natural Bore / Ikkyu

From: Deana Dearry (ddearry@easterncomputer.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 19:52:48 PST

Hello - 'tis the lone Tennessee Shakuhachi player! I am happy to report that I have recently found that there are at least four of us down here below the Mason Dixon line - thought some of you might get a chuckle at the thought of us blowing Zen amid the Nascar fanatics and livestock!

I have enjoyed the recent discussions concerning Shakuhachi construction. I would like to know the pros and cons of natural bore vs. "treated" bore and which type - historically and currently - accomplished players prefer?
Also - can a natural bore be "finished" at a later time (ie after use)?

Secondly -
I am searching for more information about Ikkyu Sojun (1394-1481)
I am very moved by the "Ikkyu" piece and have been trying to learn more about its origins and it's writer. I should take a lesson from the master himself - attention, attention, attention - as I have been told what the actual name of the piece is but I'm not certain that I have remembered it correctly - Murasaki Reibo(?) I found copies of Crow With No Mouth and Three Zen Masters and was surprised to find there are several internet sites with information. However, all of these sources only briefly mention his passion for a bamboo flute nothing more. In the archives of this list I discovered someone shared two of his poems about Shakuhachi - Lost in Dreams One Bright Night ... and Portrait of Ton-Ami - certainly there must be others? I know there are at least two other out-of-print books but I have not been able to find either of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you -
Deana

Deana L. Dearry
Accounting Manager / Synchronics POS Systems Administrator Mac/PC/Unix
Eastern Computer
6711 Kingston Pike
Knoxville TN 37919
(423)588-6491