Shakuhachi in Moscow

From: Andrey Lazarev (avl@mega.ru)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 17:11:30 PST

The First World Festival of Japanese Music in Russia.

Four years in succession is held festival of Japanese
culture in Moscow named "The Japanese autumn". This year for the first
time
the festival was purely musical.
The musical festival "The anima of Japan"( "Nichon no kokoro") is
planned as annual.
The First World Festival of Japanese Music went off at Moscow
conservatory 11-19
September. Here is a brief program of the festival:
11 Sept. Part 1.Yatsuhasi Kengyo "Rokudan no shirabe " Perform Noriko
Sanagi (koto)
"Myoon" Perf. Noriko Sanagi (koto, vocal)
2.Yosizawa Kengyo 'Chidori no kyoku" Perf. Yukiko Tanagaki (koto).
Michio Miyagi "Reiin".Perf.Yukiko Tanagaki (1 koto), Yukiko Takei
(2 koto).
Part 2. Musical -poetry compositions of Japanese folk-songs.
12 Sept. <Matsukaze>.Japanese traditional music.
1.Michio Miyagi."Karaginuta" Perf. Minako Ito, Maki Furuta
(1 koto),Manami Ito, Rieko Eisimura (2 koto).
2.Nakao Todzan."Iwashimizu".Perf. Keiko Iwahory (shamisen),
Ishigaku Seizan (shakuhachi).
3.Tadao Sawai. "Kazagoromo".Perf. Keiko Iwahory (koto), Ryoko
Yoshimura (17-stringed koto).
4.Tiyoda Kengyo."Chikubushina".Perf. Manami Ito (koto)
5.Tadao Sawai."Kaze no Uta".Perf.Keiko Iwahory (koto), Ishigaku
Seizan (shakuhachi)
14. Sept. <Koku-no-kane>.Shakuhachi and classical honkyoku.
Part1.
1.Yamamoto Hozan."Kan'Otsu".Perf.Ishigaku Sezan
(shakuhachi).
2.Moroi Makoto."Chikuraigoshyo".Perf. Ishigaku Seizan
(shakuhachi).
3. "Chikubujima".Perf. Kohei Simizu (shakuhachi).
4.Masahisa Fujishima.Perf. Matvey Gurfinkel (Rus)(clarinet),
Stanislav Sabavnikov(Rus)(piano).
Part 2.
1."Reibo".Perf. George Mnatsakanov (Rus)(shakuhachi).
2."Takiochi".Perf.Galina Gvozdevskaia (Rus)(shakuhachi).
3.Dmitrij Kalinin "Dead Leafs".1999.Perf. George Mnatsakanov
(shakuhachi), Dmitrij Kalinin (Rus)(shakuhachi,siun).
4."Tsuru-no sugomori".Perf Galina Gvozdevskaia.(shakuhachi),George
Mnatsakanov
(shakuhachi),Dmitrij Kalinin (shakuhachi).
15.Sept. <Ito-to-no Take>. Music of japanese XVIII-XIX century composers
1.Mitsuzaki Kengyo."Godan Ginuta".Perf. Manami Ito
(koto), Minako Ito (koto).
2.Miyagi Michio."Haru no Umi". Perf. Keiko Iwahory (koto), Ishigaku
Seizan (shakuhachi).
3.Kitizawa Koto, Fukakusa Kengyo."Sarashi".Perf. Manami Ito
(koto), Ishigaku Seizan (shakuhachi).
4.Tadao Sawai."Hyakkafu".Perf. Keiko Iwahori (koto).Minako Ito
(17-stringed koto).
5.Fujinaga Kengyo."Yachiojishi".Perf. Manami Ito (koto), Maki
Furuta (koto), Dmitrij Kalinin (koto), Keiko Iwahori (siamisen), Margarita
Karatygina (siamisen),Ishigaku Seizan (shakuhachi).
16. Sept. <Fuji-no Kage>.Musical compositions of modern Japanese composers
Terumity Tanaka,Kondo Harue, Yoko Kurimoto, Kazuhiko Koyama, Bob Sakuma,
Kenziro Urata,Akira Yuyama. In the interpretation of Russian musicians
for modern
and folk instruments.
17. Sept. <Nihon-koku Suimudan>. Pieces of Russian composers (Igor
Stravinsky, Yuryu Vorontsov, Igor Goldenberg, Dmitry Kalinin, Alexey
Kuropatov, Maria Yakshieva) dedicated to Japan.
18. Sept. <Nemureru Ryu-o>.Koto with world musical instruments.
Musical-poetical composition.
1.Anonim. <Kurokami>. Perf. Akiko Aoki (koto), Natalya
Golubinskaya(koto),Satoko Katayama (shamisen), Margarita Korotygina
(shamisen), Dmitry Kalinin (shakuhachi).
2. Bashkir folk song <Yamyntau> interpreted for vocal, shakuhachi and
gu-jeng by Dmitry Kalinin. Perf. Olga Korotygina (soprano vocal), Dmitry
kalinin (shakuhachi, gu-jeng).
3. Musical composition on theme of Sei Senagon text. Perf. Jan Vasilevsky
(koto), Elena Tsareva (koto), Dmitry kalinin (koto), George Mnatsakanov
(shakuhachi), Dmitry Shyolkin (percussion).
19 Sept. <Keiko Iwahori Koto School: Kyoto-Moscow>. Traditional modern music
of japanese composers.
1. Ishigaku Seizan. <Ishiyakushi>. Perf. Margarita Karatygina, Natalya
Grigorovich (I koto), Elena Tsareva, Dmitry Kalinin (II koto), galina
Gvozdevskaya, George Mnatsakanov (shakuhachi).
2. Tadao Sawai. <Taka>. Perf. Furuta Maki, Yulia Tarasova, Natalya Golubi
nskaya (I koto), Ryoko Yoshimura, Kamiko Fukui, Satoko Katayama (II koto).
3. Yakuhashi Kengyo. <Midare>. Perf. Keiko Iwahori, Harumi Tamura,
Margarita Karatygina (I koto), Minako Ito, Yukiko Aoki, Dmitry Kalinin (II
koto).
4. Dmitry Kalinin. Piece for gu-jeng. Perf. Author.
5. Tadao Sawai <Kurodabushi ni yoru gensokyoku>. Perf. Keiko Iwahori
(solo koto), Harumi Tamura, Furuti Maki, Natalya Grigorovich (I koto), Ryoko
Yoshimura, Kimiko Fukui, Elena Tsareva (II koto), Minako Ito (17-stringed
koto), Galina Gvozdevskaya, Dmitry Kalinin (shakuhachi).

Ensemble of Japanese Music "Wa-On" appeared on base of koto-class at Moscow
Conservatory opened 1994 on the initiative of composer D.Mihailov and Keiko
Iwahory, director of "Tadao Sawai Koto School" of Tokyo. Teachers from Japan
every year come to Moscow on their own means. 26 Sept 1996 is considered as
ensemble birthday because this day the first big concert in Moscow
conservatory went off. In 1998 Yumi Iwahory, daughter of Keiko Iwahory gave
to ensemble the name "Wa-On" that can translate as "harmonical sound" or if
translate literally each character - "essence of Japan in sound". Ensemble
professors Keiko Iwahory (koto, shamisen, traditional vocal) and Kohei
Shimizu (shakuhachi) come annually in Moscow to teach on base of Japanese
traditional system. Everybody can take classes free in the school at the
ensemble.

Members of "Wa-On":
Margarita Karatygina (director, supervisor) - koto, shamisen
Dmitry Kalinin (art-director) - koto, shakuhachi, shamisen, vocal,
composition, arrangement
Natalya Golubinskaya - composition, arrangement, koto
Alexey Kuropatov - composition, arrangement, shakuhachi
Galina Gvozdevskaya - shakuhachi
George Mnatsakanov - shakuhachi
Tatyana Verushkina - koto
Natalya Grigorovich - koto
Tatyana Timofeeva - koto

Repertoir of "Wa-On' consists of more than 100 traditional and modern
compositions for Japanese instruments.

Since we plan Japanese Music Festival as annual in mid-September, so all who
wants to participate or be visitor of festival is welcome. We (Moscow
Conservatory) can make official invitation, free accommodation and food (on
base of conservatory hotel). We are sorry, our participants play free,
without pay. Besides festival (before or after it) we plan to held such
performances as 8-12 hours non-stop playing of whole Reibo-pieces complex
(different schools) and with same duration - performance shakuhachi and
ethnic (Japanese,Chinese, Indonesian etc) percussion and electronic
instrument, gongs. We hope during Kaziro Umezake visit in Moscow to carry
out the second variant of these performances. We will be glad to see you.

For contact:
Post-address - 103871, Moscow, 13 Bolshaya Nikitskaya str., Moscow
Conservatory, room "Musical cultures of World"
Phone/fax: (007)-(095)-2293093