Re: Thoughts on published notation

From: James Nyoraku Schlefer (nyoraku@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 11:17:11 PST

Socrates: One cannot learn the to play honkyoku without a teacher.

Pupil: But surely with the notation and recording one can learn to play a
piece exactly like the master.

Socrates: This is not playing a piece it is copying a performance. It is
empty and without meaning.

Pupil: But I thought that in traditional Japanese shakuhachi study, the
student was supposed to play exactly the way the teacher does.

Socrates: Yes this is true.

Pupil: I am confused.

Socrates: The transmission of shakuhahci honkyoku focuses on the learning
and playing of music, but it is the relationship between the student and the
teacher that is of importance. This is a unique relationship and one which
must be cherished. It is a relationship built on trust and love of the
music. The pupil submits to the teacher's demand that he play the music
exactly as he does. In doing so the student must let go of his ego and is
therefore free to experience the shakuhachi in a pure way. The student
trusts the teacher to guide him well on the path. The teacher submits to the
student's understanding of himeslf and trusts the student to be the best he
can be in aspiring to this process. What results is an understanding of the
music that is deep with love and passion. The same relationship cannot be
achieved with a tape recorder and music paper.

Pupil: In other words there is an intangible aspect to the learning of this
music.

Socrates: I believe you are beginning to understand.

--
James Nyoraku Schlefer
www.sparklingbeatnik.com/nyoraku

---------- >From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu> >To: nyogetsu@panix.com >Subject: Re: Thoughts on published notation >Date: Fri, Dec 10, 1999, 4:52 PM >