The answer is blowing in the wind, continued.

From: Riley Lee (lee@emunet.com.au)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 19:13:19 PST

............From previous dialogue:.

Pupil: Who taught the first teacher? Where did he (or she) learn to play
shakuhachi?

Socrates: Oh! Wasn't that the bell. Looks like class is over. Perhaps we
can pick up this discussion another time.

Pupil: Yes, and I have to get back to the demonstration. Did you hear,
the students just took over the university administration building and
are demanding a voice in determining the future of this great
institution of learning? By the way, I recently heard some enlightened
teachers of shakuhachi remind us that "the notation is not the music,
and certainly is not the honkyoku." "The best place to master shakuhachi
is from nature; both external and from the depths of your being." And, a
young but wise student with true beginner's mind, admonish us "not
mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon." What the heck are
these people talking about? Gosh, Socrates, this is all so confusing. My
brain is boiling. Think I'll blow some shakuhachi to clear my mind.

MORE DIALOGUE:

Socrates: Good idea. Go blow some shakuhachi. And when you finally get
tired, (after 1 hr? 5 hrs? 15 hrs?), you'll stop blowing shakuhachi. One
always stops eventually, you know.

Pupil: What then?

Socrates: Perhaps a little flute making. After that, dive into an
esential but not necessarily enjoyable task, such as cleaning the
toilets or doing the taxes.

Pupil: I'll deserve a break after that.

Socrates: Then do something you enjoy doing.

Pupil: What if I'm not yet ready to blow some more shakuhachi?

Socrates: How about joining in some more "confusing talk" with your
fellow shakuhachi folks?

Pupil: I think all that is bullshit. That sort of talking is a waste of
time.

Socrates: So is blowing into pieces of bamboo. There isn't any
difference between the two activities!

Pupil: ?!?!!!?

Socrates: Strange as it may seem, many people enjoy playing with words
as much as playing with sounds. Indulge them in their pastime. Your
neighbours indulge you by putting up with the noise when you blow into
your flute. The great thing about 'Word Zen' is that unlike 'Blowing
Zen', you don't even have to own a flute.

Pupil: But what about all of the bullshit?

Socrates: Just as much of that in any activity. What's the difference?

Pupil: I play my flute on my own. I'm not showing off or anything like
that.

Socrates: Sometimes you play with others, too. Sometimes, you play while
others listen. You enjoy it and so do your listeners. Likewise, 'Word
Zen' can be a solitary practice, but can also be played with others.
What's the difference?

Pupil: When I blow my shakuhachi, I'm not pretending to be an
enlightened teacher or master or anything like that.

Socrates: So does that make you enlightened? Are you better for not
pretending? Are you better than those who do pretend to be enlightened?
How do you know when someone is pretending? What's the difference?

Pupil: I'm positive about one thing. I do not enjoy all this talking! It
doesn't accomplish anything at all!

Socrates: Some people can't stand all your flute blowing either,
especially when you play what many consider is morose, self-conscious,
dark, sad, melancholy and unlistenable. You know, that stuff your
friends call 'honkyoku'. And did you know that some people just don't
understand the whole business of 'blowing into bamboo flutes'? Surely
you are aware of that! Why do you think shakuhachi playing is such a
'minority game'? 'Word Zen' will always engage more people than 'Blowing
Zen'.

Pupil: Does that make it better? If that were the case, then what you
get at your local MacDonalds would be the best food in the world! It's
bullshit, I tell you.

Socrates: To some people, MacDonalds do serve the best food in the
world. We know better though, yes? Just like we know 'Blowing Zen' is
better than 'Word Zen'.

Pupil: But it is better!

Socrates: Why? What's the difference?

Pupil: All the masters say so! Hisamatsu was very clear about this in
his essays from last century. All of our teachers tell us this!

Socrates: That's all 'Word Zen', you know.

Pupil: I give up. You just know how to pick the words to suit your own
end.

Socrates: Yes, isn't it fun?