Long ,but important message

From: Ronnie Seldin (nygetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 10:13:40 PST

Hi, everyone,

First the apologies:

1-This message may get to you more than once..
2-You are probably tired of this by now !!
3-This will be entirely too long..

Now the main points of this email:

1-Please send all future email to Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin at:
Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com
Please send all future email to Brenda Seldin (or NYCCUWR) at:
Brenda@nyc.rr.com
2-I would like to announce the tentative Itinerary for Ronnie's annual Tour
of Japan (TENRI
 TOURS 2000..(See below)
3-There have been some changes in the Shakuhachi Listings for 2000.. please
take note. (See
 below for a new update)..

Tenri Tours '2000

May 19- Leave from JFK Airport to Itami Airport ,Osaka, Japan..

May 20- (In transit over the International date-line)..Arrive in Itami
Airport in the evening..Take a Bus to Tenri (a small , beautiful village in
Nara Prefecture).Stay at the TOHON TSUMESHO for the next 5-nights having
Breakfast and Dinner at the Tsumesho..

May 21- Spend the day getting used to Japan..Shop on Hondori..Take the first
two Besseki...We may visit the famous ethnic folk Museum- the Sankokan,

May 22- On this day we will see the oldest Shinto Shrine in Japan (ISE NO
KAMI JINGU), and walk on the oldest mountain road in Japan (YAMA NOBE NO
MICHI)..
      We will also listen to 2 more Besseki Lectures..

May 23- We will leave for a day trip to Kyoto ,after Breakfast. Guided on
this day by Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei, we will go to the Ennichi (Temple Sale)
at Kitano-Jinja..At this Japanese "Flea-market" , one can find true bargains
on kimono, scrolls, pottery, traditional instruments, etc.. We will return
to Tenri for dinner. Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei will be our guide on this day

May 24- Is the day of the monthly festival in Tenri.. In the afternoon we
will visit the city of Nara, the first capital of Japan. In addition to
seeing the "sacred-deer", we will also visit the DAI-BUTTSU (the largest
wooden Buddha in the world- housed in the largest wooden structure !!..)..We
will also visit an art Museum of National treasures.

May 25-On this day we will go to Kyoto (where we will be staying at SORYO
BUN-KYOKAI). On the way there we will visit UJI -the birthplace of the
Tea-Ceremony, and also where we can get the best tea in Japan..We will visit
on of the oldest tea-Shops..We will also visit two Zen-Buddhist Temples
(BYODO-IN, and the "koto"-Temple)..In the evening we will visit HON DAIGO..

May 26- On this day we will visit two of the most famous gardens in Japan-
Katsura Rikyu and Shugaku-in.. They are both former Imperial Villa's, and
are exquisite..

May 27-We will visit the Buddhist Temple TOFUKUJI, as well as visiting the
downtown Kyoto area..There will probably be a traditional Japanese Music
Concert in the evening.

May 28-We will go to Kyoto Handicraft center as well as Heian Shrine (and
view the beautiful gardens behind the shrine)..In the evening we will have a
farewell party..

May 29- We will go to Tokyo where we will get settled in at Tohon
Dai-Kyokai..

May 30-.We will go to the Grand Kabuki (Kabuki-za) today..It is a
magnificent experience that lasts over 4 1/2 hours!!

May 31-It is a day for special interests..We may visit the great Shakuhachi
teacher AOKI-REIBO, or there can be more Temples, AIKIDO -DOJO's, or
something else.

June 1- is the monthly date for the Nyusha-Sai Ceremony at Tohon Grand
Church..We will be welcomed..We will also visit the famous ASAKUSA Shopping
area near Tohon..

June 2- We will perhaps visit the Art Museums in Ueno Park, and there will
be a concert at HON-NAKA Bun Kyokai in the afternoon/evening..

June 3- On this day we will all go to the small village of Hitachi-Shi in
Ibaraki Prefecture..There we will visit a Shakuhachi maker (Sadao
Chinone),have a feast with him, and look at his farm, and work-studio. In
the late afternoon, we will perform in a Concert..

June 4- We return to New York, arriving before we left!! (Due to the
International Dateline!!..)
_________

To find out more about the Shakuhachi, check out:
       http://sparklingbeatnik.com/seldin
          ------or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

KI-SUI-AN SHAKUHACHI DOJO-216 East 39th Street, 2nd Floor, New York,
N.Y...10016-0911..Phone/Fax: (212) 818-0897...(There are also teaching
locations in Philadelphia, Syracuse, and Upstate New York..)

TENRI CULTURAL INSTITUTE: 575 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, N.Y., in the
Guggenheim Bldg., at the corner of Prince Street, in the Soho area of
Manhattan...Phone/Fax: (212) 818-0897

            Listings for 2000

March 4-12..are the dates for the annual trip to MEXICO for intensive
Shakuhachi work by Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, and Tai Chi Chuan work by Maggie
Newman..In addition to being able to do one or both of these studies, there
is a "natural-healing" woman in the small village of Erongaricuaro (where we
stay, in the province of Michoacan), who offers classes in making natural
tinctures.. This trip gets filled up quickly, so please address any
inquiries to: 212-818-0897, or Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

March 25 & April 9..will be the two days for the one-day Spring Intensive,
given by Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, and held at Ki-Sui-An Shakuhachi Dojo.. On
these dates, beginning at 10:30 A.M., an entire Honkyoku will be taught to
beginning students..For info, or reservations , contact: phone/fax:
212-818-0897, or email; Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

April 28-30- will be the first of two three-day Honkyoku retreats at the
Soto-Zen Buddhist monastery- Zen Mountain Monastery in Upstate New York,
near Woodstock..Beginners are welcome.. The instuctor will be Ronnie
Nyogetsu Seldin..For info, and reservations, contact: 212-818-0897, or email
Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

April 29 &30- are the two days that the Shakuhachi Dojo's of Ronnie Nyogetsu
Seldin (Ki-Sui-An), and James Nyoraku Schlefer (Kyo-Shin-An), will take part
in the Annual Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival), at Brooklyn
Botanical Gardens.. There is a small entrance fee..

May 19-June 4 (inclusive)..are the dates for the Annual Japan-Trip by
Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin..Due to the popularity of this trip, and to the fact
that for everyone's enjoyment, Nyogetsu closes it off at 10 people, the trip
fills up quickly !!..While there will be concerts, and visits to Shakuhachi
makers, the trip is more often taken by people who just want to see the
wonders of Japan !! There will be laughter and tears !!..Contact:
212-818-0897, or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

June 14th-June 20th- Are the tentative dates for the second annual
Shakuhachi Camp, sponsored by the World Shakuhachi Society.. The
instructors, again, will be Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei, from Japan, and Riley
Lee, from Australia.. You can contact Cory Sperry at: 303-447-9119, or
email: csperry@aol.com

June 11- is the date for the 23rd Annual Kenso-Kai (Memorial Offering), for
Jin Nyodo.. All Honkyoku will be performed at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
(which have a slight admission fee). for more info contact: 212-818-0897, or
email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

June 24- will be the date for Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin's annual solo recital
at the Tenri Cultural Center (see above)..For information, and reservations,
contact: 212-818-0897, or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

July 15 & 22- are the two days that the one -day Summer Intensive, will be
held at the Ki-Sui-An Shakuhachi Dojo..It will be for beginners, and an
entire Honkyoku will be covered..For info and reservations:
contact-212-818-0897, or email Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

July 28-30- is the first of the two 3-Day Honkyoku retreats, given at the
Rinzai Zen Buddhist monastery in Upstate New York named Dai Bosatsu Zendo.
Beginners are welcomed..The instructor is Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin..For info,
and reservations, contact: 212-818-0897, or email Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

July 31- is the first day of Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei's second tour of the
USA.. His teaching schedule is:

     July 31-Aug. 7-NYC (also Queens and Brooklyn teaching )
     Aug. 7-Aug.14-Boston
     Aug. 14-Aug. 21-San Francisco

 Please direct all inquiries to : (phone or fax) 212-818-0897, or email:
Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

Sept.15-17- is the second weekend Honkyoku retreat at the new York Rinzai
Monastery named Dai Bosatsu Zendo..For reservations and information,
contact: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin:212-818-0897, or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

Oct. 13-15 (dates tentative)- will be the second, and final 3-Day intensive,
taught by Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, at Zen Mountain Monastery (the Soto-Zen
Monastery near Woodstock)..For info and reservations, contact: 212-818-0897,
or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

Oct.28 & Nov.4..will be the final one day, beginner's Honkyoku Intensive's
of the year at Ki-Sui-An Shakuhachi Dojo.. This is the Fall Intensive..
Please direct all inquiries to ; 212-818-0897, or email:
Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

Nov.23...is the date for the 23rd annual Student Recital of Ki-Sui-An
Shakuhachi Dojo..It will be held at Lefrak Concert Hall at Queens College,
and the guest artists will be Henry Horaku Burnett, sangen; and Mutsumi
Takamizu, koto...All info and reservations should be directed to:
212-818-0897, or email: Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com

Dec.7- Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin will be performing a concert in the series
"Buddhism in the Catskills" , upstate New York, at Hartwick College.. For
any information, contact: 607-431-4325

In addition to teaching daily at Ki-Sui-An Shakuhachi Dojo, Ronnie Nyogetsu
Seldin teaches at Hoen-ji Zen Monastery, in Syracuse, and at the
Philadelphia Meditation Center, in Philadelphia :

 Syracuse- 1/16, 3/19, 5/14, 7/16, 9/10, and 11/19...

 Philadelphia- Jan. 8 & 23 July 8 & 23
               Feb.13 & 27 Aug. 12 & 27
               March18 & 26 Sept. 9 & 24
               April 15 & 23 Oct. 21 & 29
               May 6 Nov. 11 & 26
               June 10 & 25 Dec. 9 & 17

            SOME RECENT SHAKUHACHI RELEASES
 (Updated ...Feb. 28th, 1999)

KOMUSO: The healing art of zen shakuhachi (Relaxation Company ..CD 3217 )
Solo CD of Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin. Now released !!!..In his latest CD,
Nyogetsu makes use of very long Shakuhachi.. No less then 7 of the 9 tracks
are on Shaluhachi 2.4 or longer (includin tracks on 2.8 and 3.0)

EMPTY BOWL (Sparkling Beatnik Records- SBR0010)..For the first time, other
than Jin-Sensei's own recordings, a CD has been recorded of Jin Nyodo's
version of Kinko-Ryu repertoire.. Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin has recorded this
repertoire on his second Sparkling Beatnik release, which differs from the
more-often recorded Tokyo-style Kinko-Ryu pieces, in that they are more
simpler and meditative in nature...

TRANCE III- (Ellipsis Arts-CD4330) .. This is the third of the best-selling
series for Ellipsis Arts.. On this recording, the first third is "Japan", in
which Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin plays a Zen-Honkyoku..The second third is the
African Mbira (thumb-piano), and the final third is the Sundaese chanting of
West Java..

Sounds of Healing- (Phillips International-E.G.I.9907CD)..is an exceptional
recording in which an oncologist, Dr. Mitch Gaynor, uses music to cure
serious diseases (like cancer)..In addition to his "guided meditations",
there are three ensemble pieces with Shakuhachi. Synthesizer, Gongs, Tibetan
overtone singing (high voice, as well as low voice), Crystal Bowls, and
Tibetan Bowls !!.

SAMURAI SPIRIT (Sparkling Beatnik Records...SBR0001), which features the
unusual, but strong "Komi-Buki" technique has been released by Ronnie
Nyogetsu Seldin. This CD includes the entire repertoire for the Neza-Sa-Ha
Honkyoku, as well as a new composition of Nyogetsu's- "Nakagawa Yoshi-Sama"