Blowing edge

From: Brian Bagby (bribag@midwest.net)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 20:32:51 PDT

Hello!
I've recently been stricken with wanting to play shakuhachi. Until I can
amass the funds for (at least) a good student shakuhachi, I'm making one of
wood to get me started (I make wood Native American flutes now).

I have a couple books with basic shakuhachi construction and have found
some info/dimensions/pics on the internet, but I have a big question about
the blowing edge (if I'm not asking for 'secrets' of the trade!)

How does the shape of the edge affect the intonation and playability?
In particular --- Shape/depth/width of the arc and Angle of bevel?
Is the edge as sharp as possible, or is slightly blunt desired?
Are there some 'average' dimensions that should work?

Waiting for Enlightenment
Brian