Riley Lee Concerts in San Francisco Bay Area

From: Michael Connelly (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 11:21:33 PDT

Shakuhachi master and noted scholar Riley Lee will offer two solo concerts
in the SF Bay Area in June.

Please join Riley in the special atmosphere of the Berkeley Art Center's
round theater:

June 22 (Thursday) at 7:30pm
Berkeley Art Center
1275 Walnut St., Berkeley (in Live Oak Park)
$12

And please spread the word of the unique opportunity to hear Riley in Santa
Cruz:

June 23 (Friday) at 7:30 pm
Pacific Cultural Center
1307 Seabright Ave., Santa Cruz
$10

Contact me if you would like advance tickets to either of these
performances. Tickets will also be available at the door.

And I hope you have the chance to listen to Riley's live radio interview
with Stephen Kent on KPFA (94.1FM) at 10am, June 22.

BIO:
Dr. Riley Lee was one of the first non-Japanese players to be awarded the
rank of Grand Master (Dai Shihan) and holds two of the most revered
lineages of Zen shakuhachi playing through his teachers Yokoyama Katsuya
and Sakai Chikuho II. He teaches shakuhachi and gives breathing workshops
to students in Australia, Asia, and the United States. A prolific composer,
he has released twenty-five recordings of traditional and original pieces.
Riley has been playing for nearly thirty years and earned his Ph.D. in
ethnomusicology from the University of Sydney in 1993. He is visiting the
Bay Area from his home in the Blue Mountains near Sydney.

"Atmospheric, even spell-binding music….Echoes of eternal
time…Haunting" --New York Times