Riley Lee Workshops in Berkeley

From: Michael Connelly (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 12:32:42 PDT

ANNOUNCING:

Shakuhachi Workshops with Riley Lee
June 24 (Saturday) and June 25 (Sunday)

June 24: 1:30pm-4pm.
Home of Prof. Robin Hartshorne
768 Contra Costa Ave., Berkeley

June 25: time still to be determined (likely 3pm-5:30pm)
Home of Dr. Nik Warren
1016 Spruce, Berkeley

Following Sunday's workshop, there will be a potluck gathering, some lively
conversation, impromptu playing, special guests (i.e., Party). Details on
this later...

Riley's workshops will focus on learning the notational system of the
Chikuho school and playing several pieces written in this notation. Riley
is a Grand Master in this tradition, which he learned from his teacher,
head of the Chikuho school, Sakai Chikuho II from 1971 to 1985. The
Chikuho repertoire contains a unique collection of traditional pieces from
various sources, such as the Meian Shinpo ryu, Soetsu ryu, and Nesasa ha,
as well as modern compositions--all written in Chikuho notation.

Please send me a personal message (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu) [not a
reply to the list serve] if you are interested in attending. Include your
mailing address, and I will send you some of the workshop materials, which
includes a Chikuho fingering chart and a couple pieces written Chikuho notation

What Riley has to say about the workshops:

"I will give group lessons teaching honkyoku and other pieces such as folk
songs, etc. using Chikuho notation. By the end of my stay everyone will be
quite proficient in Chikuho notation as well as having added a number of
new pieces to their repertoire. It really is not that hard to learn new
notation systems, especially the Chikuho system....The main benefit is its
opening up the possibility of playing lots more music, like knowing another
language gives one access to lots more literature. "

"We will be learning new pieces (or in some instances a new variation of
pieces some of you might already know). Learning to read the Chikuho
notation will just be an added benefit, the 'cream'! All it will take is
just a very tiny bit more mental concentration from everyone. I'll bring
along my deluxe number 7 adjustable multi-volt remote control
multiple-terminal-for-large-groups cattle prod just in case......"

Riley is a masterful teacher who also happens to be fun and enthusiastic.
I'm positive everyone who attends will feel they've improved both their
playing and their understanding of the shakuhachi. Please don't miss this
unique opportunity.

Michael