schools and who's who?

From: Ralf Muhlberger (ralf@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 15:34:57 PDT

I'd like to learn more about what the different schools are,
how they relate, and to learn who's who...

I know that Kinko and Tozan are the main two schools, and
they are fairly similar, at least in notation. I know that
Chikuho is not one of the big schools, and has quite different
notation. (I started learning Chikuho, and am now starting on
Kinko.)

I have a couple of CDs, and see a number of names being mentioned
a lot on the lists, but am not really sure what schools they are
in, or where they sit wrt influence on other players.

My question, I guess, is whether you could all reply and
brain dump your knowledge of schools and teachers to the list.

I guess it's a distracting question, to a point, as the real
focus of Shakuhachi is the instrument, not the people, however
I find that having more information keeps my interest levels up
and makes it all more enjoyable still :-)

Many thanks,

Ralf

                           Life is the pursuit of energy.
                               How are you pursuing life?