Re: Terminology

From: Zachary Braverman (zacharyb@sirius.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 04:03:19 PDT

*Very*, *very* brief definitions:

Dokyoku: Style of shakuhachi as first practiced by Mr. Watazumi (same as
"Watazumi-Do"

Meian: Refering to the Meian temple of Kyoto or the style of playing
engendered there.

Tozan: Tozan school of shakuhachi. Most prevalent in Japan, but not so
outside Japan because there is little to no (*I think*) playing of honkyoku.

Koten: Literally means "classic," as in "classical honkyoku." The ones your
teacher teaches you are koten, the rest are derivative newer versions. :)

Koro-koro: Specific method to make the sound flutter. Done with fingers.

Tamane: Making a different kind of fluttering sound. Done with throat.

Nezasaha: Style of shakuhachi using a distinctive pulsing breathing pattern.
Comes from Northern Japan, where it's so cold your shakuhachi will crack if
you don't breath into this way. Just kidding.

Zachary Braverman