2nd annual Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies

From: Sperrycs@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 21:30:49 PDT

Dear Shakuhachi Enthusiasts one and all,

    First of all, my apologies to any of you who receive more than one copy
of this letter-I'm sure there is some overlap on mailing lists and bulletin
board subscriptions.

    We have just completed the 2nd annual Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the
Rockies here in Colorado and we all had a wonderful camp together. Our utmost
gratitude goes out to our tremendously dedicated and hard working faculty-
Yoshio Kurahasi, Riley Lee, Michael Gould , David Wheeler and Yoko Hiraoka
for her support with koto and Shamisen.

    One of the unique opportunities of Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies
is to experience all of these amazing teachers and players in one place at
one time..Not only taking lessons but sharing meals and free time, and
experiencing the camaraderie that develops living in close relationship
together as a group over the course of the camp. There is alot of energy and
special connectedness that grows out of that intensive time spent together.
The chance to interact with a dynamic group of such high level teachers in
this communal environment is not found anywhere else in the States or rarely
in Japan for that matter. This was the original intent of the summer camp
concept as conceived at the World Shakuhachi Festival 1998 gathering-i.e. a
chance for us to get together and have fun as a group more often than every
4-5 years or so when an International Festival can perhaps take place. So,
coupled with the idyllic setting of Sunrise Ranch in the foothills of the
Rocky Mountains and the superb nourishing food prepared by their kitchen-we
all had quite a week!! We're sorry that those of you who couldn't make it
missed it this year, but we hope to see you at future summer camps

    Below is included the playlist of pieces taught this year to give you a
taste of our activities. We also had a "get to know each" other circle
discussion on our first night, fondly referred to as a "Shakuhashi Anonymous"
meeting by some participants. The faculty gave a wonderful concert one
evening n the Dome Hall of Sunrise Ranch (a great space for concert
performance) which was recorded professionally and a CD of that performance
is available. Another night we had the 2nd annual "open mike" performance
night for all participants, again in the Dome. And on the last evening
together, we had "Duet Night" playing a series of duets as a group together
which was great fun.

    We're already looking ahead to next year's summer camp and hope to see
many returning as well as new participants next summer. The dates are Fri.
June 15- Tues. 19, 2001. We'll be sending out further information over the
next couple of months but in the meantime, don't hesitate to contact us if
you have any questions or just want to check in. Take Care and have a great
rest of summer.

    Sincerely,

    Organizing Committee for the WSS "2nd Annual Shakuhachi Summer Camp of
the Rockies"

CONTACTS:
Cory Sperry
Phone: 303-447-9119
Beeper: 303-266-3561 (punch in your number and your call will be returned)
E-mail: sperrycs@aol.com

David Wheeler
Phone 303-449-2935, Fax 303-544-1388
Emil: dwheeler@ecentral.com

PLAYLIST OF PIECES TAUGHT AT SHAKUHACHI SUMMER CAMP 2000

Honkyoku (Meian, Kinko, Chikuho) / Dokyoku

Honshirabe
Tamuke
Sanya
Yamagoe